Keep anything with you that you or your family will use on the day of your move. It is a good idea to pack an overnight bag for each member of your family with enough items for 2 or 3 days. This way, you are not searching through boxes for necessary toiletries and personal items. Additionally, medications, important paperwork, and anything highly valuable or sentimental should be set aside to be placed in a designated box or bag that you will carry with you to your new home.
How do I pick the right mover?
- Make a list of moving companies you want to research.
- Get a quote from each company. Ensure you speak with a representative from each specific company, and avoid relocation services and middlemen.
- Look online or ask friends and family about the company’s reputation and qualifications.
- Make sure the company is licensed and carries insurance to cover your items.
- Make sure you understand pricing, as every company had different ways of calculating charges.
- Go with your gut. If you feel good about a company, or the customer service you received, chances are they will be a good fit for you.
How do I save money on my move?
In order to keep to your budget, it is best to research and do as much planning as possible. Booking your move well in advance will save you money. While moving companies may be able to accommodate a last minute move, the cost will not be nearly as affordable as on that was scheduled further in advance. Additionally, organizing, discarding unwanted items, and packing if possible prior to your move will save you time and money the day of your move. Finally, the middle of the week and mid month are often the slowest times for moving companies. You are much more likely to get a discount if you book your move during these times.
Do I need an in home estimate?
More often than not, moving companies will give an estimate over the phone. In some cases, movers may need to visit your home in person to give you an accurate quote. If any of the following apply to your situation, you may need an in-home estimate:
- A home larger than 1,500 square feet
- Any large or bulky items (e.g., safes or pianos) that may be difficult to move
- Narrow hallways, doorways, or stairways that furniture cannot fit through
- Difficult parking for a 26 ft. truck
- Long distance moves
How much should I tip my movers?
Although our movers will never ask for, or hint for tips, they are allowed to accept tips should customers feel inclined to give them. In terms of what to tip the movers, we encourage customers to tip whatever they feel is appropriate for the work and service that was provided.